Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Questions and answers are listed in alphabetical order by the following headings: 

Admissions MA vs. Diploma
Applications MA Credits
Arabic Requirements Registration
Arabic Courses/Levels Tuition


Are there any tests other than the TOEFL, such as the GRE, that I would have to take to be admitted to the programs? 
Non-native speakers of English (who do not hold degrees from an accredited English medium university or are not enrolled in an accredited English-medium university) need to take the TOEFL. The GRE is not necessary. An official transcript of grades for previous undergraduate and/or graduate studies must be submitted. 

What are the academic requirements for admission? 
You must have completed a BA undergraduate degree in the social sciences and humanities or any other field but you may need some prerequisites before starting the MA.. Your cumulative grade point average (GPA) should be 3 out of 4, or a B average. 

What if my university does not use the GPA or letter grade system? 
The AUC Admission office will convert your grades into A, B, C equivalents in order for us to evaluate your academic performance. 

Am I required to start the MEST program in the fall, or is it also possible to do so in spring? 
You can start in Spring.


How do I apply?
You may apply online from the Graduate Studies or undergraduate studies websites. If you are not in Egypt.


Are Arabic language skills a prerequisite to be admitted to the programs? 
The equivalent of one year of Arabic study (ALNG 1101-1102-1103) is required for full admission to the MA program in Middle East studies. 

Students who have not reached this level of Arabic and meet all other admission requirements will be granted provisional admission. They may study Arabic at AUC or at any other institution in Egypt or anywhere else. We strongly encourage such students to take a summer of intensive Arabic at AUC, if places are available in the program, or at another institution in Cairo. Among the schools with such courses in Cairo are: International Language Institute, Kalimat, Cordoba and Dar Carbone. 

I am confused by the Arabic level requirements. 
The language requirements are usually stated as "proficiency level." In other words, you do not transfer credit. It does not matter where you have studied Arabic previously.

The required level of proficiency to obtain an MA in Middle East studies is equivalent to a level of 2.5 out of 5 on the U.S. Foreign Service Institute exam. A proficiency examination will be administered by the Department of Arabic Language Instruction (ALI). Those expecting to write an MA thesis are strongly advised to attain this level of proficiency before beginning their thesis in order to be able to use Arabic sources. 

Students who have not yet attained the required level of proficiency in Arabic will take an Arabic placement test before beginning their first fall semester. The test is administered by ALI. Mahmoud Sami Moussa is the person to contact there (or anyone else authorized to administer the test). Students will be assigned to an Arabic class on the basis of this test. 

If students who were admitted provisionally place beyond Arabic 102 (i.e. into Arabic 103 or above) at the beginning of the fall semester and they have no other prerequisites to fulfill, then they will be granted full admission to the MA program. If they must fulfill other prerequisites in addition to Arabic, these must be completed before they are granted full admission to the MA program. 

Am I required to take the Arabic classes at AUC? 
You do not have to take the Arabic courses at AUC. Some students opt to study Arabic at the British Council or the International Language Institute here in Cairo. 

How many semesters would it take to fulfill the language requirements? 
This depends on your Arabic level at the time of admission. Arabic courses may be taken in the summer session before your first semester and/or between your first and second year. Refer to the table to assess how long it may take to reach your required level.

Arabic Placement Exam for Degree-Seeking Graduate Students.
Graduate students are eligible to take the exam twice per semester to fulfill graduation requirements or entrance procedures. Arrangements between graduate student departments and the ALNG unit may be conducted upon request.


Requirement for Diploma: Completion of ALNG 101 and 102 or the equivalent accelerated course ALNG 111
Requirement for MA comps and thesis tracks: Completion of ALNG 203 or the accelerated level ALNG 211

Accelerated Course Normal Course Books Used Lessons Covered
ALNG 111 ALNG 101 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part I 1-6
ALNG 102 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part I 7-13
ALNG 112 ALNG 103 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part I 14-20
ALNG 201 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part II 1-5
ALNG 211 ALNG 202 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part II 6-10
ALNG 203 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part III 1-5
ALNG 212 ALNG 204 Al-Kitaab fii Ta'alum al-'Alarabiyya, Part III 6-10
ALNG 205 Different Authentic Materials  
ALNG 311 ALNG 301 Different Authentic Materials  
ALNG 302 Different Authentic Materials  
ALNG 312 ALNG 303 Different Authentic Materials  
ALNG 304 Different Authentic Materials  

*For more information, please contact ALI.

Iman Soliman

Monica Nabil
Program Assistant     

Inquiries from degree-seeking students:
Inquiries from non-degree students:


What are the differences in requirements between the diploma and MA programs? 
The diploma program consists of five courses to be taken in one year, and the MA is a two-year program with 10 courses (or eight and a thesis). 

Is it possible to finish the graduate diploma program in two semesters? 
The diploma program is designed to allow you to finish all the requirements in two semesters.


What are the differences in the course requirements for the MA thesis and comprehensives options? 
The MA without a thesis consist of 10 graduate courses and the equivalent of ALNG 201 (Intermediate, 12 credits). The MA with a thesis consists of eight graduate courses and the equivalent of ALNG 201 (Intermediate, 12 credits).


I have been accepted to the program and will arrive at the AUC next semester. How do I register for classes? 
Registration period dates are published by the AUC registrar. As an incoming student you should plan to meet with the MEST program director during those dates for academic advising and in order to register for classes. 

Registration Procedure: Before you consult with the director, please read the following carefully. It will save everyone time. 

1. Sign up for an appointment on the registration sheet at the MESC office. 

2. Make sure that you have no unresolved financial, academic or registrar issues, or you will have a hold on your registration screen. 

3. Print out your Audit Report. (If you have trouble with this, Rania Azer will help.)

4. Check the course offerings, and make sure that you will be able to complete all the required courses by the time you want to graduate. The required courses cannot be substituted. 

5. Think carefully about the courses you want to take. Avoid overload. 

6. If a course you want to take has a prerequisite, clear the matter with the appropriate department and instructor. 

7. If you have pre-requisites, make sure that you enroll in these first. DO NOT take other courses before you have completed prerequisites with the required average grade. 

8. Fill out the Course Planning Form. You can get a copy from the program's office. 

The abbreviations in the course planning form mean the following: 

Call Number: This is the five-digit number to the left of the course 

Course: Subject (Pols, Econ, etc) 

No. (200, 300, etc) 

Sec # (01 if there is only one section; for undergraduates there might be more) 

Cr. Hours (3, etc) 

Hours: The hours when the class is held 

Days (clear in the form)

After you have completed your form, you can discuss your courses or any other problems with the director of the program. 

After you get the form signed: 

1. Make a copy of it on the copying machine in the lounge. 

2. Give the copy to the program assistant so she can remove your holds. 

3. Now you are ready to register online.


How much does AUC cost? 
Tuition and fees are announced each academic year in a bulletin from the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Tuition usually increases each year. Tuition and Fees for Academic Year 2019 - 2020.