Primary Sources for Middle Eastern Studies
This page lists historical newspapers in Arabic and other languages. The focus is on Egypt, during the period of 190 to 1950. For more information, click here.
Most users are familiar with numerical data tables. Datasets, however, are large collections of research data presented in a standardized format. They often come in special file formats and require specialized software to query them. For more information, click here.
Law and Legislation
This page lists laws and regulations for different institutions of Middle East countries, in Arabic and other languages. The focus is on Egypt, with its General and specific laws, also it's different courts. For more information click here
Images and Film
- British Pathe
The entire archive of Pathe newsreels is now accessible online (85,000+ hours). Users can search for items relating to Egypt.
- CineCitta Luce
A very large archive of Italian newsreels. Search for "Egitto" for content related to Egypt.
Designed specifically for the needs of researchers and professors, the eLibrary makes finding and using World Bank publications as quick and easy as possible. Special features include reference linking, chapter-level access, content alerts, and citation tools. The eLibrary contains all World Bank books, journals, flagship reports, and working papers since the 1990s, plus country and regional data from World Development Indicators. Note: Your library must be subscribed in order to access all content and researcher’s tools.
The World Bank’s open access repository for its research outputs and knowledge products released since 2000. It not only collects, disseminates, and permanently preserves Bank’s intellectual outputs; it also serves as the portal for the general public to freely access PDFs of recent World Bank research and publications.
Middle East Studies
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
The following dictionaries and encyclopedias are available at AUC library and can be found by call number.
Dictionary of modern Arab history: an A to Z of over 2000 entries from 1798 to the present day - Bidwell, Robin Leonard
Call Number: Main Reference - DS38.9 .B53 1998
Dictionary of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: culture, history and politics - Faure, Claude
Call Number: Main Reference - JQ1830.A58 F3813 2005
A political and economic dictionary of the Middle East - Seddon, David
Call Number: Main Reference - DS63 .S43 2004
Biographical encyclopedia of the modern Middle East and North Africa - Michael R. Fischbach, editor in chief.
Call Number: Main Reference - CT1866 .B56 2008
The Continuum political encyclopedia of the Middle East - Avraham Sela, editor.
Call Number: Main Reference - DS62.8 .P64 2002
Encyclopedia of the modern Middle East & North Africa - Philip Mattar, editor in chief.
Call Number: DS43 .E53 2004
The Biographical dictionary of the Middle East - Shimoni, Yaacov
Call Number: Main Reference - DS62.4 .S53 1991
Middle Eastern Studies E-Resources:
- Afghanistan: The Making of U.S. Policy, 1973 - 1990
"The Afghanistan document collection provides a contemporary record of many of the political and military developments that caused an isolated, Third World country situated at the rugged cross-roads of Asia to become the battleground for the bloodiest and costliest superpower proxy war of the 1980s."
- Arab-Israeli Relations, 1917 - 1970: The Middle East Online, Series 1
Original source material, from the 1917 Balfour Declaration through to the Black September war of 1970-1.
- CIAO Columbia International Affairs Online
This is the comprehensive source for theory and research in international affairs. It publishes a wide range of scholarship that includes working papers from university research institutes, occasional papers series from NGOs, foundation-funded research projects, proceedings from conferences, books, journals and policy briefs.
- Digital National Security Archive
Access to 6 DNSA collections: 1) Afghanistan: The Making of U.S. Policy, 1973 - 1990, 2) Iran: The Making of U.S. Policy, 1977–1980, 3) The Iran-Contra Affair: The Making of a Scandal, 1983–1988, 4) Iraqgate: Saddam Hussein, U.S. Policy and the Prelude to the Persian Gulf War, 1980–1994, 5) Terrorism and U.S. Policy, 1968–2002, and 6) U.S. Intelligence on Weapons of Mass Destruction: From World War II to Iraq.
- Iran-Contra Affair: The Making of a Scandal, 1983–1988
A contemporary record of the political, military and paramilitary operations.
- Iran: The Making of U.S. Policy, 1977–1980
Documents focused on United States policy towards Iran and events in Iran.
- Iraqgate: Saddam Hussein, U.S. Policy and the Prelude to the Persian Gulf War, 1980–1994
Focuses on two major issues central to the Iraqgate affair.
- Macmillan Cabinet Papers, 1957 - 1963
Papers of the former British Prime Minister Macmillan.
- Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies (EBSCOhost)
Index of research, policy and scholarly articles on the countries of the Middle East, Central Asia and North Africa.
- Terrorism and U.S. Policy, 1968–2002
Origins in the most horrific terrorist assault ever launched against the United States.
- Travelers in the Middle East Archive
A digital archive that focuses on Western interactions with the Middle East.
- Arab Culture and Civilization
"NITLE developed this site as a resource for all who would develop a better understanding of the Arab world. While our principal audience is the students, faculty, staff and alumni of the liberal arts colleges served by NITLE, the site is open to all visitors. "
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - Analysis on Arab Reform
- Digital Islam
Research on the Middle East, Islam and digital media.
- History in the News: Middle East History
"This site provides links to the resources for the study of the Middle East."
"Jadaliyya provides a unique source of insight and critical analysis that combines local knowledge, scholarship, and advocacy with an eye to audiences in the United States, the Arab world, and beyond. The site currently publishes posts both in Arabic and in English."
- Middle East Information Network
"The Middle East Information Network is an American organization based in Boston, MA. We are a small group dedicated to providing accurate and comprehensive information about the Middle East. We are non-partisan, meaning we do not take sides. We believe that all groups, faiths, and people should be given equal representation here. We strive to break down the barriers and stereotypes that have been created about the people of the Middle East. Our primary mission is education."
- Middle East Virtual Library
"The Middle East Virtual Library (MENALIB) is an information portal for Middle East, North African, and Islamic Studies. It provides access to electronic full text materials or electronic bibliographical records of printed materials and manuscripts."
- Pars Times
"Greater Iran and Beyond" Includes several links on topics ranging from Media to Government Documents.
Middle East History
In Print Periodicals at Library
The following print periodicals are available at AUC library and can be found by call number.
- Āfāq al-thaqāfah wa-al-turāth [DS36.85 .A33]
- Aḥdath al-ʻālam al-Īslāmī [DS35.3 A542]
- Dimukratiyah [JC423 D45]
- Dirāsāt tārīkhīyah [DS36 .D577]
- Fann al-Mu`asir [NX8 A7 F36]
- Funun Misriyah [N5350 F86]
- Hawliyat al-Tariikh al-Islami wa al-Wasiit [DS38.3 H39]
- Ḥuqūq al-insān fī al-waṭan al-ʻArabī : kitāb ghayr dawrī [JC599.A65 H88]
- Jaridah al-Rasmiyah [Library Media Room G-019]
- Kutub Wijhat nazar: Fi al-Thaqafah wa al-Siyasah wa al-Fikr [Z1035 A1 K87]
- Majallah al-tārīkhīyah al-ʻArabīyah lil-dirāsāt al-ʻUthmānīyah [DS62.4 .M34]
- Min wa ila [AC106 M35]
- Misr al-Hadithah: Dawriyah Sanwiyah Muhakkamah [DT43 M57]
- Misr al-Mahrusah [AP95 A6 M6]
- Mustaqbal al-ʻArabī [DS36 .M75]
- Nahddah: Majallat kulliyat al-Iqtissad wa al-`Ulum al-Siyasiyah [JA26 N24]
- Nushataa` [JC599 A65 N8]
- Qadaya: Muhawalah lil-Balwarat Tatwwuraat Jariyah [D31 Q23]
- Rawafid [DS36.8 R29]
- Ruz al-Yusuf [AP95 A6 R86
- Shuʼūn ʻArabīyah [DS36 S5]
- Taqriir al-Istiratiji al-Filastini [DS119.76 T377]
- Thaqafah: Majallah Shahriiyah Jami`ah [AP95 A6 T52]
- Wathāʼiq al-ʻArabīyah. [CD2295 W38]
- Yasaar [DS63.1 Y375]
- A`lām : qāmūs tarājim li-ashhar al-rijāl wa-al-nisā' min al-`Arab wa-al-musta`ribīn wa-al-mustashriqīn Ref. DS37.2 .Z57 1990
- Aṭlas al-tārīkh al-ʻArabī. أطلس التاريخ العربي . REF. G1786.S1 A28x 1984
- Dā'irat al-ma`ārif al-Islāmīyah Ref. DS37 .D28 1969
- Dalīl al-abḥāth al-tārīkhīyah fī al-majallāt al-Sūrīyah : Majallat al-Majmaʻ al-ʻIlmī al-ʻArabī (al-Lughah al-ʻArabīyah)- al-Muqṯabas--al-Thaqāfah--al-Ḥawlīyāt al-atharīyah--al-Miṣbāḥ--al-Turāth al-ʻArabī--Dirāsāt tārīkhīyah--al-Dirāsāt al-sharqīyah . دليل الأبحاث التاريخية في المجلات لسورية ، مجلة المجمع العلمي العربي (اللغة العربية) - المقتبس - الثقافة - الحوليات الأثرية - المصباح - التراث العربي - دراسات تاريخية - الدراسات الشرقية . REF. DS62.Z9 D35 1986
- Kitāb al-sanawī lil-qaḍīyah al-Filasṭīnīyah Ref. DS119.7 .K55
- Majmūʻat al-muḥarrarāt al-siyāsīyah wa-al-mufāwaḍāt al-dawlīyah ʻan Sūrīyā wa-Lubnān min sannat 1840 - 1910 Ref. DS97.5 .M33 1983
- Mawsūʻah al-qawmīyah lil-shakhṣīyāt al-Miṣrīyah al-bārizah Ref. DT76 .M29 1992
- Mawsūʻah al-tārīkhīyah al-jughrāfīyah : al-qārrāt, al-manāṭiq, al-duwal, al-buldān, maʻālim, wathāʼiq, mawḍūʻāt, zuʻamāʼ Ref. G63 .K43 2005
- Mawsūʻat Miṣr al-ḥadīthah Ref. DT107.825 .M38 1996
- Mufāwaḍāt al-ʻArabīyah al-Isrāʼīlīyah, 1949 - 1991 Ref. DS119.7 .M8 1992
- Mushkilah al-Filasṭīnīyah : lil-ḥaqīqah wa-al-tārīkh / al-risālatān al-mutabādalatān bayna al-Raʼīs Jamāl ʻAbd al-Nāṣir raʼīs al-Jumhūrīyah al-ʻArabīyah al-Muttaḥidah wa-al-raʼīs Jūhn Kīnidī raʼīs al-Wilāyāt al-Muttaḥidah al-Amirīkīyah. المشكلة الفلسطينية ، للحقيقة والتاريخ / الرسالتان المتبادلتان بين الرئيس جمال عبد الناصر رئيس الجمهورية العربية المتحدة والرئيس جون كندي رئيس الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية. REF. DS63 .N34
- Mustashriqūn : mawsūʻah fī turāth al-ʻArab maʻa tarājim al-mustashriqīn wa-dirāsātihim ʻanhu mundhu alf ʻām ḥattá al-yawm / Najīb al-ʻAqīqī. المستشرقون ، موسوعة في تراث العرب مع تراجم المستشرقين ودراساتهم عنه منذ ألف عام حتى اليوم / نجيب العقيقي. REF. PJ51 .A7 1964
Free Online Arabic Books
Islamic Studies E-Resources
- Index Islamicus EBSCOhost
Premier index on Islam, the Middle East, and the Muslim world.
- Encyclopedia of Islam Online
Important reference work in English on all Islamic subjects.
- Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies EBSCOhost
Index of research, policy, and scholarly articles on the countries of the Middle East, Central Asia and North Africa.
- Chicago Online Encyclopedia of Mamluk Studies
A project of the Middle East Documentation Center at the University of Chicago.
- Encyclopedia of Islam and the Muslim World
Contextualizes modern Islam in the history of the religion and cultural milieu & discusses significant world events in and around the Muslim world. It includes information on Islam in the 21st century, supplementing the excellent coverage of earlier periods in the Encyclopedia of Islam (Brill) and other works.
- Encyclopedia of the Qur'an Online
Encyclopedic dictionary of qurʾānic terms, concepts, personalities, place names, cultural history and exegesis, extended with essays on the most important themes and subjects within qurʾānic studies.
- Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures
Examines in-depth the role and conditions of Islamic women in history, law, family, politics, sexuality, among other topics, by subject and by geographic region. Online edition continuously updated.
- Oxford Islamic Studies Online
An authoritative, dynamic online resource for students, scholars, government officials, community groups, and librarians, Oxford Islamic Studies Online brings together the best current scholarship in the field and promotes accurate and informed understanding of the Islamic world.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCOhost)
Offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 9,810 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. For more info, http://www1.aucegypt.edu/library/libdata/description.cfm?titleID=286
- Biography in Context (Gale)
Nearly a million biographical entries spanning history and geography. For more information: http://www1.aucegypt.edu/library/libdata/description.cfm?titleID=314
Full text of important scholarly journals, excluding those from the last 2-5 years. For more information: http://www1.aucegypt.edu/library/libdata/description.cfm?titleID=18
Qur'an: Text, Commentary, Translation
- Hosted by the Jordanian Ministry of Religious Affairs. This site provides online access to:
- ALL major (and many minor) commentaries on the Qur’an (tafasir)
- variant readings of the Qur'an (qira'at)
- translations into thirty languages
- recitation function with choice of maqam
- Yet Another Qur'an Browser (YaQub) Compares ten different English translations of the Qur'an, including the translations of Arberry, Rodwell, and Sale. The "Arabic transliteration" is not systematic, and must be used with caution.
- Qur'anic Arabic Corpus
An annotated linguistic resource which shows the Arabic grammar, syntax and morphology for each word in the Qur'an. Amazing: syntactic treebanks, and semantic ontologies.
- Encyclopedia of Canonical Hadith Call Number: BP135.2 .J89 2007 ISBN: 9789004156746 Publication Date: 2007
Manuscript catalogs and online collections
- AMIR List of Islamic Manuscript Collections
- Islamische Handschriften online
A useful compilation of links to sites with digitized images of Islamic Manuscripts.
- Arabic and Middle Eastern Electronic Library (Yale University)
- Digital Persian Archive
"The Database includes "public" and "private" documents: royal decrees and orders, official correspondence, and shari'a court documents, such as contracts of sale and lease, vaqf deeds, marriage contracts, and court orders. It also serves as a bibliographic reference tool, being a continually updated repertoire of published historical documents. "
- Islamic Heritage Project (Harvard University)
"For the IHP, Harvard’s Open Collections Program (OCP) has produced digital copies of over 280 manuscripts, 275 printed texts, and 50 maps, totaling over 156,000 pages. Users can search or browse online materials that date from the 10th to the 20th centuries CE..." See more information
- Islamic Manuscripts - University of Michigan
"This site is part of an ongoing project to fully catalog the Islamic Manuscripts Collection at the University Of Michigan, Ann Arbor."
- Middle East Virtual Library
"The Middle East Virtual Library (MENALIB) is an information portal for the Middle East, North African and Islamic Studies. It provides access to electronic full-text materials or electronic bibliographical records of printed materials and manuscripts."
- Poetry and Prayer - Islamic Manuscripts
- Princeton Digital Library of Islamic Manuscripts
"The manuscripts are chiefly in Arabic but also include Persian, Ottoman Turkish, and other languages of the Islamic world. They date from the early centuries of Islam through the fall of the Ottoman Empire. Most of the manuscripts originated in Arabia, Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Iran, and other main centers of Islamic civilization. But there are examples from Moorish Spain and the Maghreb in the West, to the Indian sub-continent and the Indonesian archipelago in the East, and even sub-Sahara Africa. "
- The Virtual Manuscript Room
The Virtual Manuscript Room presents full digitized manuscripts from The Mingana Collection of Middle Eastern Manuscripts held at Special Collections in the University of Birmingham.
- The Wellcome Library
The Wellcome Library, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, and King's College London, have formed a partnership to create a free searchable online catalog of 500 Islamic manuscripts in the Wellcome Library.
- Travelers in the Middle East Archive
"The Travelers in the Middle East Archive (TIMEA) is a digital archive that focuses on Western interactions with the Middle East, particularly travels to Egypt during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. TIMEA offers electronic texts such as travel guides, museum catalogs, and travel narratives, photographic and hand-drawn images of Egypt, historical maps, and interactive GIS (Geographic Information Systems) maps of Egypt and Cyprus."
- المكتبة الرقمية المغربية Digital Library of Morocco
Arab Useful Resources
The following sites will be useful for you to get additional information for your research.
Contains information about AOHR activities, publications and campaigns.
Automated services that the government provides to Egyptians and non-Egyptians -- in addition to a directory for ministries, governorates and government sites.
Covers issues of relevance to economic, social and political reform. Contains publications for current economic issues and statistical Indicators.
Arabic Search Engines
Citation Manuals and Information on the Web
Introducing the Subject Librarians:
Research and Publishing Opportunities for AUC Students
The American University in Cairo Digital Archive and Research Repository (DAR Repository) is the open access home to AUC's scholarly communications, including theses, faculty publications, student projects, and departmental records and publications. "DAR" means home in Arabic, which reflects the repository's role as a "home" for scholarship and institutional records.
Click here for details.