Water-Energy-Food Nexus Laboratory
The Center for Sustainable Development (CSD) has established a WEF Nexus lab that makes use from the sunny weather in Egypt to generate electricity and power a modern hybrid desalination unit for sea and brackish water. The desalinated water is to be used for modern irrigation and agriculture production. The brine (byproduct) will be also utilized to produce fish through modern techniques. The idea is to use the sun to produce energy and the energy to prepare the water and the water to produce food with zero waste and zero negative environmental impacts.
The CSD hosts the lab and coordinates the activities of the researchers.
- RWTH Aachen University, Germany
- German University of Technology, Oman
- International Desalination and Water Treatment, Germany, Oman and Egypt
- King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia
- Sydney Technical University, Australia
- Connecticut University, USA