The Department of Arabic Language Instruction (ALI) offers an intensive summer program from the first week of June until the last week of July. Students must take 20 hours of class per week to be considered full time. Courses are offered at the beginner, intermediate and advanced levels.
The ALI summer program offers tailored courses, subject to the availability of resources. A number of electives are also offered, from which each student may take up to two (based on their levels).
- Modern Standard Arabic: The language of the media, literature, science and formal fields of contemporary knowledge
- Egyptian Spoken Arabic: The language of everyday interaction and daily living
- Academic electives including translation, the Qur’an and media for intermediate and advanced levels (one credit)
- Students receive six to eight credit hours in this program depending on their level
- Cultural components including calligraphy, music, singing and dancing (non-credit)
- Study aid centers
- ALI offers professional faculty, up-to-date facilities and extracurricular activities and the program welcomes non-native students as well as students of Arab origin.