The activities of the HUSSLab program can be divided into three tracks:
Track One: Cultivating an Intellectual Community in HUSS:
To promote the role of the humanities in teaching and research at AUC.
- Cultivate existing intellectual resources (faculty and students)
- Dismantle administrative barriers that hinder inter-disciplinary research and teaching
- Promote the humanities as a realm of inquiry among students
- Expand research opportunities for AUC faculty and students
Track Two: Forging Global Partnerships in Research and Pedagogy:
To promote knowledge production outside the Global North.
- Promote cross-pollination of ideas and teaching strategies by bringing scholars from other Global South contexts to AUC
- Establish research collaborations between local and regional institutions
- Promote nascent research and teaching efforts in Egypt by collaborating with local partners outside the university and governmental structure
- Bring Global South researchers and knowledge practitioners to academic audiences in the Global North.
Track Three: Extending AUC’s Public Outreach:
To decolonize knowledge by promoting Arabic-language knowledge production and to direct AUC’s considerable expertise in the humanities to the wider community in Cairo, Egypt, and the region.
- Promote the production and dissemination of accessible scholarly knowledge in Arabic for a non-academic audience in Egypt and across the Arab World via texts and podcasts
- Offer intensive workshops (winter schools) for non-academic professionals whose work would benefit from exposure to cutting-edge humanities methodologies, debates, and approaches, but who cannot take time to pursue an advanced degree
- Engage the public in conversations pertaining to issues of contemporary relevance or resonance with academics from AUC and from other institutions, especially those working in Global South contexts