Psychology is the multifaceted scientific study of human behavior and mental processes. The program at AUC emphasizes physical, cognitive, emotional, personal and social development from infancy to adulthood. This development is studied against a background of major theoretical and applied domains of psychology, concentrating on important aspects of individual, group and cultural dynamics. Psychology is an exciting field of study that allows students to gain the following skills:
- Understanding human thinking and motivation
- Understanding and evaluating scientific research
- Writing well structured essays
- Designing and conducting scientific studies
- Using library resources to understand psychological functioning
- Developing interpersonal/social skills
- Understanding the role of culture in emotions and cognition
The aim of the psychology major is to provide students with a solid background in the current major areas of the discipline. It will give them insight, which can be of personal as well as of practical value in many other occupations. In addition, the program will prepare students wishing to continue further studies leading to a professional career.
The minor in psychology provides a general introduction to the field without the depth of the methodological training required of majors.