Vacant Library and Learning Technologies Positions
Current Openings (1)
Faculty position: Instruction/Reference Librarian
About The American University in Cairo:
Founded in 1919, AUC moved to a new 270-acre state-of-the-art campus in New Cairo in 2008. The University also operates in its historic downtown facilities, offering cultural events, graduate classes, and continuing education. Student housing is available in New Cairo. Among the premier universities in the region, AUC is Middle States accredited; its Engineering programs are accredited by ABET, its Chemistry program is accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry, and the School of Business is accredited by AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. The AUC Libraries contain the largest English-language research collection in the region and are an active and integral part of the University's pursuit of excellence in all academic and scholarly programs. AUC is an English-medium institution; eighty-five percent of the students are Egyptian and the rest include students from nearly ninety countries, principally from the Middle East, Africa and North America. Faculty salary and rank are based on qualifications and professional experience. According to AUC policies and procedures, all faculty are entitled to generous benefits.
The Libraries and Learning Technologies invite applications for a fixed term (2 years renewable contract) at the Instructor level beginning this Fall 2018. The search committee is eager to review applications of individuals with demonstrated excellence in teaching, and an interest in living and working in the Middle East.
Under the direction of the Head of RIS, the Instruction / Reference Librarian will participate in the collaborative development and delivery of library services that facilitate and encourage research and learning at the university. Major job duties include working with other RIS librarians in the development and delivery of an undergraduate course in information literacy, an essential part of AUC's Core Curriculum; teaching "one-shot" library instruction sessions for undergraduate and graduate courses; providing research services to students and faculty, and offering liaison and collection development services to targeted academic departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in the collaborative development and delivery of AUC's required course in information literacy, LALT 1020
- Develop and deliver library instruction for subject-specific courses, particularly for graduate programs
- Provide face-to-face research support and virtual chat help
- Assist in the ongoing maintenance and enhancement of subject- and course-specific guides (LibGuides) in support of research and learning across the curriculum
- Carry out outreach with select academic departments, with a special focus on supporting graduate-level research
- Participate in the ongoing assessment of library collections in assigned subject areas
- Weekly Help Desk hours (including some evenings)
- Perform other duties as agreed upon or assigned
- A graduate degree in Library / Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution (or equivalent)
- A Second Masters degree
- Understanding of best practices in library instruction at the university-level
- Patience, enthusiasm and a strong student-centered attitude
- Ability to contribute library support across the curriculum (including STEM)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects, and to excel both independently and as part of a tight-knit team
- Cultural sensitivity/ability to thrive in a culturally diverse environment
This is a Faculty appointment at the rank of Instructor. The position will remain open until filled.
Applications from recent graduates strongly encouraged.
All applicants must submit the following documents online:
a) a current resume or CV; b) a letter of interest; c) a statement of teaching philosophy; d) a completed AUC Personnel Information Form (PIF); e) Please ask three referees familiar with your professional background to send reference letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, e-mail Ms. Sahar Sobeih, Assistant Dean, (email@example.com) or visit the department's website at http://schools.aucegypt.edu/library/Pages/default.aspx