Use of Rare Books, Archival Materials and Photographs
- Research must be performed in designated areas approved by library staff.
- Users wishing to use items located in rare book storage locations must complete a "Rare Books Request Slip." A library staff member will retrieve the item for the user.
- Users must leave a valid identification card (AUC or other institution) at the reference desk when using rare materials.
- Users wishing to use archival or manuscript materials, including photographs, must complete a "Manuscripts and Special Collections User Form." A library staff member will retrieve the material for the user.
- Pencils must be used for taking notes; the use of pens is not permitted.
- Users may bring a laptop computer into research areas for note taking.
- Do not rearrange, write on, fold, or lean on archives or manuscript materials.
- Library staff will provide book cradles for items that require special support.
- Photographs must be handled using cotton gloves, available from staff members.
- Users intending to publish or quote from library materials must complete an "Application for Permission to Publish, Broadcast, or Quote from Rare Books and Special Collections Library Materials" form, as well as seek copyright permission if the library does not hold the copyright.
- Users should credit the library as follows when citing special collections materials used:
[Item Description], [Collection Name], Rare Books and Special Collections Library, The American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt.