- Program Mission
The mission of the Department of Biology at The American University in Cairo is to provide its students the opportunity to explore life at all levels from the molecular to the environmental. The Department of Biology is committed to excellence in teaching and to research in order to provide the integrative and conceptual foundations of life and biomedical sciences, implementing a liberal arts education. The Department of Biology is strategically designed to train students to be independent learners, problem solvers, critical thinkers, and have them ready to contribute to society as responsible and ethical experts in their profession.
We continually strive to be among the best in all we do in teaching, research,
creative expression, service to our communities and service to each other
in our daily interactions.
We seek to treat all individuals with dignity and fairness, and to promote understanding and respect for a diversity of perspectives, traditions and experiences.
We are committed to exploring the challenges that confront Egypt, the region and the world, by using our intellectual and creative capabilities to address these challenges, serve our communities, and have a positive and sustainable impact on development, business, the environment and society.
We believe that individuals are accountable for their actions, and as members of a community, our individual actions have an impact on others. We are stronger as a community when we reflect on the consequences of our decisions and actions, and we uphold the principles of academic integrity, including fairness, accountability and honesty.
We believe that the pursuit of knowledge, understanding and personal and professional development should continue throughout one’s lifetime.
The objectives of the biology program are:
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic sciences related to biological processes.
- Effectively identify, analyze and design solutions to address biological issues and opportunities.
- Have the ability to work in teams and effectively communicate within and outside the profession.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, ethical integrity and professional engagement.
- Demonstrate an ability to engage in lifelong learning through professional development activities and knowledge of contemporary issues.